Who we are and what we do
HerpeZ is a not-for-profit medical research organisation in Zambia founded in 2012 by Dr Matthew Bates (PhD) and Dr Kunda Musonda (MBChB, PhD). We are based at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia, and we are interested in a range of infectious disease threats which are important causes of morbidity and mortality, for which current diagnostic and therapeutic strategies are inadequate. Our goal is to generate knowledge that informs on improved diagnostic or treatment strategies, resulting in better outcomes and saving lives.
Where we do it
The University Teaching Hospital receives patients from a network of roughly 20 community clinics and from district and regional hospitals across the country. We are based in the Dept. of Paediatrics & Child Health but we also work with the departments of Internal Medicine, Pathology & Microbiology and Obstetrics & Gynaecology. We collaborate with faculty from both the University of Zambia School of Medicine and University of Zambia School of Veterinary Medicine and also from the Zambian Ministry of Health. We share a well equipped research laboratory within the hospital and also work closely with the Bacteriology, Virology and BSL3 TB labs.
- Preventing Bloodstream Infections and Death in Zambian Neonates: Impact of a Low-cost Infection Control Bundle. Mwananyanda L, Pierre C, Mwansa J, Cowden C, Localio AR, Kapasa ML, Machona S, Musyani CL, Chilufya MM, Munanjala G, Lyondo A, Bates MA, Coffin SE, Hamer DH. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Dec 28.
- Children infected by human herpesvirus 6B with febrile seizures are more likely to develop febrile status epilepticus: A case-control study in a referral hospital in Zambia. Tembo J, Chandwe K, Kabwe M, Chilufya M, Ciccone O, Mpabalwani E, Ablashi D, ZumlaA, Chen T, Bates M. J Med Virol. 2018 Nov;90(11):1757-1764.
- Burden of respiratory tract infections at post mortem in Zambian children. Bates M, Shibemba A, Mudenda V, Chimoga C, Tembo J, Kabwe M, Chilufya M, Hoelscher M, Maeurer M, Sinyangwe S, Mwaba P, Kapata N, Zumla A. BMC Med. 2016 Jul 1;14(1):99. PDF
- Etiology, Antibiotic Resistance and Risk Factors for Neonatal Sepsis in a Large Referral Center in Zambia. Kabwe M, Tembo J, Chilukutu L, Chilufya M, Ngulube F, Lukwesa C, Kapasa M, Enne V, Wexner H, Mwananyanda L, Hamer DH, Sinyangwe S, Ahmed Y, Klein N, Maeurer M, Zumla A, Bates M. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016 Mar 30. PDF
- Burden of tuberculosis at post mortem in inpatients at a tertiary referral centre in sub-Saharan Africa: a prospective descriptive autopsy study. Bates M, Mudenda V, Shibemba A, Kaluwaji J, Tembo J, Kabwe M, Chimoga C, Chilukutu L, Chilufya M, Kapata N, Hoelscher M, Maeurer M, Mwaba P, Zumla A. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 9 PDF
- Prevalence and risk factors for betaherpesvirus DNAemia in infants aged between 3 weeks and 2 years of age, admitted to a large referral hospital in sub-Saharan Africa. Tembo J, Kabwe M, Chilukutu L, Chilufya M, Mwaanza N, Chabala C, Zumla A, Bates M. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Feb 1;60(3):423-31. PDF
- High Rates of Congenital Cytomegalovirus Infection Linked With Maternal HIV Infection Among Neonatal Admissions at a Large Referral Center in Sub-Saharan Africa. Mwaanza N, Chilukutu L, Tembo J, Kabwe M, Musonda K, Kapasa M, Chabala C, Sinyangwe S, Mwaba P, Zumla A, Bates M. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Mar;58(5):728-35. PDF
- Assessment of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for diagnosis of tuberculosis with gastric lavage aspirates in children in sub-Saharan Africa: a prospective descriptive study. Bates M, O'Grady J, Maeurer M, Tembo J, Chilukutu L, Chabala C, Kasonde R, Mulota P, Mzyece J, Chomba M, Mukonda L, Mumba M, Kapata N, Rachow A, Clowes P, Hoelscher M, Mwaba P, Zumla A. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013 Jan;13(1):36-42. PDF
- Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay at a tertiary care referral hospital in a setting where tuberculosis and HIV infection are highly endemic. O'Grady J, Bates M, Chilukutu L, Mzyece J, Cheelo B, Chilufya M, Mukonda L, Mumba M, Tembo J, Chomba M, Kapata N, Maeurer M, Rachow A, Clowes P, Hoelscher M, Mwaba P, Zumla A. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Nov;55(9):1171-8. PDF
Feb 2019: EMPIRICAL Kick-Off Meeting, Lusaka, Zambia, 19th/20th Feb 2019. Many thanks everyone for a very successful launch!